As a way to try to help show how I take advantage of opportunities and try to live out this idea of fitting fitness into tight spaces, here is a quick look at my week of working out.
Monday: Medium Run (pushing kids)
- Distance: 6.93mi
- Time: 1:16:34
- Avg Pace: 11:03min/mi
- Description: I was sitting at work thinking about how I was looking at another Monday where I didn’t get up early enough to work out and wanting to get out and exercise so I decided to run to the daycare and pick up the twins in the jogging stroller and run them home (our youngest was home with my mom who was in town to help watch the kids while I was out of town that weekend). It sounded like a good idea and when I got home The Coach decided to join me. One thing we didn’t take into account was how hot and humid it was. It was in the mid to upper 80’s and pretty humid. We got halfway there and were feeling it pretty good. It didn’t help that I was still recovering from a long weekend and The Coach hadn’t really had enough water all day. We finally got to the daycare, got the twins (60+lbs!) and started back. I had to walk a few times and even stop at least once, but we made it. If I had been solo it might have been a bit quicker, but probably still slow. It’s always a good workout to push them, though!
Tuesday: Lifting at home
- Time: 30min
- Description: I couldn’t ride my bike on the trainer since my mom was in the same room sleeping and The Coach went to the gym to workout so I decided to lift instead. I did some squats, lunges, bicep curls and crunches. Nothing major.
Wednesday: Running to and from the gym and lifting
- Distance: 3.06mi
- Time: 29:34
- Avg Pace: 9:40min/mi
- Description: For the first time in a long time, The Coach and I got to work out in the morning together on a weekday! My mom was in town so she could keep an eye on the kids if they woke up (we left the house just before 6am) so we could go on our own. We decided to run to the rec center, lift then run home. It’s just about 1.5mi to the rec center from our house so it ended up being a 3mi round trip. While there, I did some arm workouts and leg presses, not too much because of time. It was fun to run down there and back and do a little lifting between. The pace could have been faster, but you can’t have everything…
Thursday: Short Interval Ride
- Distance: 8.7mi
- Time: 34:01
- Avg Speed: 15.3mph
- Description: The second time I’ve done this interval set: 5min warmup, 90sec race pace+, 3min rest, repeat 6x, 5min cooldown. The last rest just was part of the cooldown. It was another rough time on the bike, but good. I need to keep working my legs to get ready for the race coming up.
Saturday: Lifting, Spinning, Lap Swim
- Distance: 1000yd
- Time: 19:01
- Avg Pace: 1:54min/100yd
- Description: This was another of our weekly tradition of lifting then swimming. I lifted for about 40min, hopped on a spinning bike for about 25min, then went ahead and swam afterward. This was the first time I’d ever used one of these spinning bikes and it’s kinda cool, but annoying too. I’d rather something that automatically sets the resistance for me, but this just tells me what to do and I have to set it. It’s nice because I know how difficult it is, but it’s not something I particularly wanted to deal with. It also tells you to wear a heartrate monitor but since I didn’t have one with me and there aren’t any sensors on it I had to watch the screen tell me my heartrate was 0 and that I needed to decrease my cadence and increase my resistance to get my heartrate up. One nice thing, though, it had a dock for my ipod and I was able to listen to music through it. I could have used my arm band or something, but I got pretty sweaty so it was nice to keep the ipod away from me a bit.
For the first time in a very long time (5 weeks!) I actually worked out 5 times in a single week! It felt really good to get out and exercise and I was very motivated by watching the race last weekend. I realized that I need to get my butt in gear if I ever want to be in good enough shape to tackle that challenge.